(keitai-l) Japan ranks 20th in mobile Internet use

From: Daniel Helmer <daniel_helmer_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 09/18/02
Did anyone see this news in Japan Today/Kyodo News?

"Japan lags behind leading developed nations in use of the Internet from
mobile platforms, ranking 20th in the Mobile/Internet Index, according to
the first survey of this kind released by the International
Telecommunication Union (ITU) on Tuesday.

My reaction was: "Eeeeehhhhh...?"

Then I checked the ITU release on

http://www.itu.int/newsroom/press_releases/2002/20.html

I still have no idea how they reached this ranking, but apparently they are
using a framework of 26 'enabling factors' to arrive at what country is
'theoretically' most suited for the mobile Internet.

In other words, it's the 'theotetical' input, not the 'actual' output that
counts. I bet Japan's 60 million users didn't know that...

Cheers,
Daniel