(keitai-l) Re: J-Phone or au?

From: Paul Lester <paul.lester_at_l8tech.com>
Date: 11/21/02
    My recommendation is to look into PHS.  (aka powerastel etc).
Its cheaper and has higher voice quality than either AU JPhone or
DoCoMo, but I don't know if there are English menus.  They have
most of the features you would want like cool ringtones and color screens
as well.

    If you have a choice do not use AU, JPhone, TuKa or DoCoMo unless you're
a programmer or want a built in camera, or 40 voice ringtones.

On another thing:

    I don't think one can send Skymail from JPhone to AU but you can
send Longmail (email) from any JPhone to any AU handset. But I
may be wrong.  My friend was able to send skymail from her JPhone (JSky)
handset to my TuKa handset (EZWeb).... so maybe you can.  That
surprised me!  But then again my EZWeb handset seems to
have a lot of features from the J-T51 .... maybe its an exception.
    Does someone know about this?

Daniel Helmer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As a recent arrival in Tokyo, I need to get myself a keitai ASAP.
>
> So, should I go for J-Phone or au? (don't ask me why not DoCoMo)
>
> Say if I go for the same handset (more or less) like the Sanyo with
> bilingual menu (J-SA05 or J-SA51 with J-Phone, or A3015SA with au) - I fancy
> that one.
>
> Things to consider are:
> - au got faster service, GPS and lower handset cost etc.
> - J-Phone seems to have flashier picture services etc.
> - is it true you can't send Skymail to au handsets?
> - gaijin-friendly content - ezweb vs. J-Sky?
> - need good coverage both in Tokyo and Tokai (Shizuoka) region
> - I do believe both J-Phone and au has family pricing plans (I need to get
> one for my wife too) so I get a bit of discount, but which one is best and
> who got cheaper calling plans in general?
>
> What's the pick? (any objective and subjective - more useful actually -
> input is most welcome.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel Helmer

*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*F=m(dv/dt)
Paul B. Lester
theta division
LincMEDIA Group:(Layer-8 Technologies Inc)
Chief Engineer
Programmer/Chakumelo engineer/DBA/QA etc
EMAIL: paul_lester@lincmedia.co.jp
--
http://www.thetamusic.com/
http://myc.thetamusic.com/