(keitai-l) Re: 7.5% of US SMS messages lost...

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 01/19/03
Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Jonas Petersson wrote:
> > Please state your model.
> =

> It's a Nokia 3361. None of the things you described seem to allow me to=

> turn on this notification feature. (There's no settings option under th=
> messages menu.)

Presumably this documentation should suit you. On page 85 you find
"Options when writing a text message" where "Settings" includes "Read
receipt". Seems the terminology has changed somehat for the US models.
http://downloads.nokiausa.com/userguides/3360.PDF

> It's quite a horrible little phone, anyway. Heavy, poor display, and,
> worst of all, no way to attach a keitai strap to it!

You might also like to complain about a keitai not fitting properly in a
typical GSM phone case when you are at it...

My big color screen 9210 sure is as big end heavy as my older 9110, but
it fits neatly in my hip case and does just about all I want it to do.
Personally, I'm pretty careful about which phone I buy - I'd actually
have gone for a refurbished 9110 (who needs color really?), but as these
are no longer available I had no choice.

> > I don't know about US GSM telcos, but at least around here (Sweden) y=
ou
> > have the option to have you mail sent to a mail account at the telco
> > (very similar to keitai I think). If so, you instantly get an SMS whe=
n a
> > mail arrives....
> =

> No, what I want is the other way around. Every time an SMS arrives, it
> gets copied to my computer mailbox as well.

I guess that would be technically possible for you Telco to set up the
SMSC that handles you phone to do that, but I've never heard anyone
asking for it before. Typically you read and respond to the SMS more or
less instantly on the phone anyway so an email copy isn't all that
exciting. Perhaps this is another culture thing?

If you have a mid- to high-end phone with calendar etc that needs
synching I'm pretty sure you can synch your SMSes over. I've only really
bothered to do this on the 9x10 series, though. Of course, this is not
instant if that's what you are after.

				/ Jonas
-- =

Jonas Petersson, X Media Solutions | mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Holmbrogr=E4nd 1, S-600 03 Norrk=F6ping | http://www.xms.se/
Tel: +46 (0)11 244805 | Fax: +46 (0)11 244809