(keitai-l) Ezplus bug - icons in ChoiceGroup,List MIDP components

From: Mathieu Castelli <mcastell_at_noos.fr>
Date: 03/20/03
{ Note to moderator: I poster this early yesterday, but it never got posted
and I didn't get a refusal message. So I'm assuming the message got
lost....original mail follows}

Hello list, a rather technical question...

It seems that some AU/ezplus phones are not able to display icon images in
'Choice' (ChoiceGroup, List) components defined by the MIDP API. Most phones
(even the newer ones such as 5303H) simply don't display those icons, and
some phones (e.g. 3011SA, 5001T) even crash when they are told to display an
icon in a Choice item.

The following code sample reveals the problem :

// Creates a new list
List l = new List("1", List.IMPLICIT);

 // Creates a red square icon
Image iconImage = Image.createImage(16, 16);
Graphics g = iconImage.getGraphics();
g.setColor(0xFF0000);
g.fillRect(0,0,16,16);

// Makes the image immutable
iconImage = Image.createImage(iconImage);

// Appends a new item to the list
l.append("test", iconImage);

 // The icon is not displayed
display.setCurrent(l);

Do you have any information about this issue ? For those that have
encountered the problem would you have a list of phones that support or
don't support those icons ? We found that the A3012CA for example doesn't
have this problem, as well as the 3014S. And we've tested most of them,
except the 5302 among the recent ones.

Thanks for any shared experience,

Mathieu Castelli