(keitai-l) Re: link: Film Festival for Keitai

From: dc <dc_at_gamelet.com>
Date: 03/21/03
didn't KDDI do something similar for their MPEg-4 movie/creator contest?
also usen broad had a digital film fest, slightly related.

docomo desperately need something to put the fun into foma.

in other news, foma is looking shakier still as arpu is less than 2.5G
customers! (foma packets are 1/6th the price roughly but there are no
compelling data heavy apps).
perhaps the dual mode phones will succeed in giving away foma free if
you buy a new pdc phone... similar to kddi's 3G uptake reason.

http://www.bwcs.com/marketing/index2.html

DoCoMo’s FOMA Customers Add Nothing to ARPU

(19/03/2003, BWCS Staff) Japanese mobile operator DoCoMo has admitted
that it is earning less per user for its FOMA services than it is for
its i-mode service. The report, which was carried in the FT
Deutschland, will make uncomfortable reading for European operators
hoping to commercially launch 3G services later this year.

The German newspaper quoted NTT DoCoMo board member Takanori Utano as
saying that “Data revenues per customer are below those that we have
with the systems of the second generation.EApparently, the main
problem is the lack of applications for 3G phones. This, in turn, is
put down to the low number of subscribers to DoCoMo’s 3G service.

Some analysts argue that a vicious circle is forming, with few 3G
customers to aim at, application developers prefer to pitch at the much
more developed i-mode market. However, with few attractive services on
offer, 3G operators will find it hard to build an impressive customer
base for next generation mobile phone systems.

Average revenue per user at DoCoMo’s FOMA service started out
relatively high. In the period from October to December 2001 it stood
at Yen10,400 (US$77.80). This was almost 25% more than DoCoMo was
making from its i-mode customers (Yen8,500). However, last year, the
company’s ARPU from 3G customers fell to Yen 8,300 while the revenue
per i-mode user remained static.

> http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?
type=technologyNews&storyID=2403371

> <snip>
>  Closely-held company BigDigit Inc. sponsored the "World's Smallest
Film