(keitai-l) Re: 6.5 million yen fine to imode spammer

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 03/27/03
> I'm just curious about Docomo's claim about how much they actually lose on
> "user not found".
> 880 million * 1.2yen  = 1.05Billion yen/day due to non-existant email
> addresses?  Why - they don't need to send it out over their network as
> they do with real mail.

I believe that SMTP (Mail) is the most misunderstood technology out there.

So basically it is very "expensive" (as used in "I need lots of
processing resources for finishing this task") to deny user connections,
because the SMTP connection is open (SMTP supports looooooooong time
outs!), DoCoMo has to check for a valid receiver (from 35million) and
for the right settings of this user ("this user doesn't allow mail
from this domain, but from this one") etc.

This all adds to the mix and 1.2yen per denied receiver is actually
cheap.

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht, CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc., Tokyo, Japan
i-mode & FOMA consulting, development, testing:  http://nooper.co.jp