(keitai-l) Re: 6.5 million yen fine to imode spammer

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 03/27/03
I agree with Juergen. Actually, a similar US judgement awarded
damages about 120 times higher than DoCoMo's damages.

Gerhard

Juergen Specht wrote:
>>I'm just curious about Docomo's claim about how much they actually lose on
>>"user not found".
>>880 million * 1.2yen  = 1.05Billion yen/day due to non-existant email
>>addresses?  Why - they don't need to send it out over their network as
>>they do with real mail.
>

> I believe that SMTP (Mail) is the most misunderstood technology out there.
>
> So basically it is very "expensive" (as used in "I need lots of
> processing resources for finishing this task") to deny user connections,
> because the SMTP connection is open (SMTP supports looooooooong time
> outs!), DoCoMo has to check for a valid receiver (from 35million) and
> for the right settings of this user ("this user doesn't allow mail
> from this domain, but from this one") etc.
>
> This all adds to the mix and 1.2yen per denied receiver is actually
> cheap.
>
> Juergen

Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html