(keitai-l) Re: SmartPhones will kill consumer PDAs?

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 05/07/03
Marted=EC, 6 mag 2003, alle 19:51 Europe/Rome, Ken Chang ha scritto:

> here comes another rival: Microsoft-HP next-generation PC prototype:
> better support for phones, faxes, e-mail, instant messaging, and
> video conferencing, as well as PDAs and mobiles.

I think that the "big issue" is still in creating a positive technology
environment to let information and exchanges flow in a efficient way
in independent way from OS, device type, communication channel etc.

Building an open ecosystem in which anybody can contribute with=20
innovation.

I think that open and shared standard for communication, resource=20
sharing,
identification, data formats, software runtime environments (OS)  etc=20
are
at the base for the future of mobile connected devices.

This was actually at the base of Internet innovation... And there is=20
much
much more to be done on mobile devices well beyond any corporation
vision...

You still get crazy in syncing your Keitai with your PC... there is a=20
lot to do.
There is a long way to the pervasive network...

Another important thing is that this communication must be based on
open and shared standards. For example Bluetooth, Sync-ML, V-Card,
Wap 2 etc..

So I do not see very well any proprietary technology, format, initiative
as good for the evolution of this vision. Even more if this activity is
targeted to any kind of digital device from Tablet Pcs to Toilets.

If you want to see another interesting form factor from MS:

http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-999509.html#

> while size may be a factor, what I think interesting are the different
> manufacturers and distribution channels between PDAs and cell phones.

Yes but by the end is the market that decides. Also typewriters and=20
computers
had different manufacturers and distribution.

We have to see if there is an overlap between SmartPhones and
consumer PDAs... For my point of view there is a quiet total overlap

I've stopped using my Palm when I bought a phone with advanced PIM
management like Calendar, Contacts, e-mail and Notes. I think
there will be a lot like me in the near future.

In Europe the most sold PDAs in the last 1.5 years have been
the Nokia Communicator.

Giovanni=20=