(keitai-l) Re: AW: Is this the future? networks fusion?

From: Philip Sidel <psidel_at_iuj.ac.jp>
Date: 05/16/03
Giovanni,

>It is really interesting how WI-FI is used for competing with
>cable... So we are moving in a new scenario where
>competition is not just using different wireless technologies...

Yes, exactly.  And I'd suggest that we're moving towards competition on
overall communication "bundles" as opposed to stand-alone services.

>Boundaries between short distance wireless (WIFI, Bluetooth),
>voice service, wire broadband and mobile are blurring.
>An effective service will be much more network independent
>switching between one connection to another.
>
>So ADSL, cable, mobile, FOMA, WI-FI, CDMA 2000 1x/PHS,
>bluetooth etc.. will be integrated depending on the operator strategy
>and capability to provide an effective economic and dependable
>ubiquitous service coverage.

That's my thinking as well.  The question is, do the network operators
share this vision?  I've seen some slides from one of the major
telecommunications companies here in Japan that suggests that they
may...but I'm wondering how widespread this is.  We keep hearing about
individual services, never (although you may all correct me) a bundle.

>Maybe we are still too much focused in comparing on e network
>tech to another... like many today do compare WI-FI to 3G...

What happens if these all become complimentary to each other?

>Looks interesting and I wonder how this will affect the telcos
>still divided into different wire and wireless products and markets.

Me too!  Anyone else care to weigh in on this one?