(keitai-l) Re: Sony phones

From: Tom Motoyoshi Kalland <tmk_at_infeline.org>
Date: 05/23/03
On Fri, 23 May 2003, Michael Sydenham wrote:
> I think it was tmk who wrote Sony phones are not cool? Hmm I wonder. I was
> just quickly thinking about some of the unique points of these phones -

well, i was mostly annoyed by the size and weight of newer sony eric
phones. when they get that big and bulky i find it hard to look at them as
cool, even though they have some neat features.

> jog & dial selector: I think this is pretty cool - a very practical way to
> perform text input that has no equal on other handsets I think.

yeah,the jog is nice. agreed.

> kisekae panels: This was pioneered by Sony Ericsson for AU. These are the
> exchangeable panels on AU phones. An interesting & fun way to significantly
> personalise the appearance your phone. Cool enough to be copied by others.

those panels were invented by nokia originally, werent they? not pioneered
by sony then, they just picked up a successfull scheme. seems to make the
phones heavier and bulkier to have covers like that.

> hikari panels: User-customisable multi-coloured flashing light panel
> combined with the kisekae idea yields about 30 different illumination
> patterns upon incoming ring - a new spin on "manner mode".

having different illumination has been common since docomo's 208 or so. or
am i not getting something?

> movie player: My impression is their latest AU phone probably has the best
> quality movie playback in the industry at this time.

"unique points of these phones"? this goes for all au phones, not just
sony. and sony was late with movie embedded phones on au. still havent got
around to release an A5xxx.

im not against sony or anything. i just think theyre phones have grown a
bit too much on the fat and heavy side lately. :/

.tmk