(keitai-l) Re: Usability on Japanese phones

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 06/16/03
> I was very surprised to see the manuals inside the box of my wife's
> keitai, it must have had 200+ pages, and a "quick guide" of half the
> size (both sort of A 5 sized).

But why do you say this so negative? This is a good thing! Since years
Japanese Manuals are absolutely top class. Easy to understand,
step-by-step instructions, etc.

You don't have to read it, but I would miss them if they would not be
in the box.

> As for the technical details I find it odd that consumers are not only
> bothered with technical specs, they are even used as marketing
> differentiators sometimes. Some examples:
> - "packet charges" or the whole concept of packets and the number of
> bytes in it with mobile phones
> - hard disk size in the Sony Cocoon; just tell us how many hours we can
> record
> - hard disk car navigation systems; what do I care how you store the
> data in it?
> It may be exciting for the technophile, but I cannot imagine my mum
> being able to make any sense out of this.

You mum is not Japanese as far as I can tell :)

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht, CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc., Tokyo, Japan
i-mode & FOMA consulting, development, testing:  http://nooper.co.jp