(keitai-l) Re: Ntt DoCoMo i-mode enters the italian market with Wind

From: Arjen van Blokland <ab_at_tkk.att.ne.jp>
Date: 06/22/03
Ken, you overestimate the WAP world in Europe.

>since some Japanese content companies already have presence in Europe
>doing i-mode, it won't be difficult at all for them to also provide
>standard WAP service.

What is a standard WAP service?

Practically speaking there is no standard WAP service, because the
standards are differently implemented / interpreted.
As long as most of the GSM/GPRS WAP phones have different capabilities and
features (read bugs) it is quite difficult to switch from i-mode to WAP,
even if you have KDDI/WAP experience. WAP gateways also have different
features (Nokia, Ericsson, LogicaCMG, Comverse, Openwave).
I just have you to remind the SAR issue.

Then we have the annoying issue with DRM that is not taken care of (yet) in
the current European WAP world. There are nice OMA specs but not so many
phones have it implemented.

Commercially speaking there isn't a standard WAP service either:
Different business models, walled-garden approach is still quite popular,
several carriers only allow you to provide content when you hand-over the
content and they set up the site for you. Revenue share models like 50% for
the carrier are not uncommon in Europe. Do you think this is acceptable for
Japanese CPs?

Arjen van Blokland
104.com