(keitai-l) Re: GPRS billing hack

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 10/03/03
Hi,

I don't know much about GPRS systems and billing, but I am not sure
your objections to the claims succeed....

This is how Kewney describes the attack....

http://www.newswireless.net/articles/031002-scam.html
> and, unbelievably, there was nothing to stop them simply providing
> services direct to that IP address - and taking the money out of the
> GPRS billing system to pay for it.

and this is your criticism....
>  Now the "hackers" just continue pinging  the address causing extra
> traffic and the "hackers" supposedly steal  money from the packet
> charges.

I agree that "provide services" is unclear - but it does not look like
a packet charge scam. The  billing method is also opaque. But the
article does claim

http://www.newswireless.net/articles/031002-scam.html
> by hackers penetrating the billing system.

so it is not necessarily true that....

http://www.appelsiini.net/~tuupola/archives/128/
> The operator must be offering revenue share for the GPRS traffic

Presumably one would have to hack into the internal network to get
access to the (private?) i.p addresses that are being assigned to
customers. (Or are they not private - can I ping them from the net?)

But then I know bugger all about GPRS system billing, so you may be
right....

Nick