(keitai-l) Re: Newbie question

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 10/03/03
Hi Allen,

Allen Eichler wrote:
> We developed a multi-user client-server mobile game (initially for use
> in the US), and I am trying to determine how much users would have to
> pay for the game usage fees if the game were available in Japan.
>
> I searched the archives and found a message stating that there is a
> basic data charge per packet (~ 0.3 YEN) per 128 byte data packet.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Does total data transferred or number of packets drive the charges?
> For example, if the game sends packets that are much smaller than 128
> bytes (let's say 12 bytes) will the user still be charged .3 YEN per
> packet, or will the user be charged .3 YEN for every 10 packets?

I have not checked that myself, but my guess is that the if you send
1 byte on it's own, you'll still be charged a full data packet fee
for that.

Also take care: the .3 YEN/packet rate is the full 2G DoCoMo imode rate,
but that's not always charged. For example, 2G subscribers have some
free bonus, and there is are some discounts. In 3G (FOMA) the packet
rate depends on the subscription plan, the highest rate is .2 YEN/packet,
and the lowest (before other discounts) is 0.02 YEN/packet, with
discounts this can go still lower.

> 2) Is the availability of high bandwidth applications (e.g., video)
> putting downward pressure on data usage fees?

I don't think it's the availability of applications to drive down
fees, that's other factors.

Also, video calls are not charged according to the data packet
charges, but the carriers charge a special video call rate, which
is kept low, since carriers want to encourage video calls.
Same is true for some streaming video from DoCoMo. 3G video call
rates can be lower than 2G voice rates.

Hope this helps - contact me off-list if you need more infos,

Gerhard
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html