(keitai-l) J2ME on Japanese phones

From: Bob Wood <bob.wood_at_dittostudios.com>
Date: 10/04/03
Hi there,

This is probably a very basic question, but I've written an app in straight
J2ME (no manufacturer-specific APIs), and my app is available for download
from a standard web server and this works fine in the UK and most other
places.  However, I want people in Japan to be able to use it also, but my
experiments so far have revealed that the download will not work for
Japanese phones!

I've had people on J-Phone try, and the phone seems to not know what to do
with the JAD file type (I have the correct MIME type set).
Different problems on AU, but same result - no download.

I've downloaded the Docomo software development kit, and it seems that
Docomo apps don't use J2ME at all - just their own API, so I don't expect it
to work on these phones at all.

However, I have no SDK for J-Phone or AU, so I'm wondering whether not using
special J-Phone or AU API's is the cause of my problems.  I know there is a
Vodafone API, which I have, but you can write apps for vodafone phones
without using it, but does this go for J-Phone phones as well?

Any help or pointers to information greatly appreciated!!

Bob Wood

www.languagebug.com