(keitai-l) Re: port of i-mode to other cultures

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 11/03/03
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Jonas Petersson wrote:

> Again, generally I'm pretty much on your side in this, but I guess it
> depends on your definition of a PDA. Even my ancient iPaq 3600 would fit
> a PCMCIA card with for instance the Nokia PhoneCard (it comes in GPRS
> flavour too). More modern PDAs, such as the Tungsten W, have this built-in.

Yeah. But they're not "always connected," which is a very key point.

> True, they are hardly low-end (but neither is the 505i, right?) and
> possibly somewhat bulkier than your average keitai...

Much, much bulkier. They make even the Sherman Tank of keitai, the So505i,
look small and light in comparison.

> Though I have no personal experience of it, I've been told that the
> Blackberry has also played in a similar US niche for quite some time.

I used one for a while back in '99 or 2000, and it was hot. It was a
page, and thus "always on," so quite workable for mobile e-mail. The
keyboard is actually quite easy to use, and quite a bit faster for
input a telephone keypad. From their website, it looks like they have
new models also incorporating a GSM phone that, while not up to the
standards of the latest keitai in Japan, are not half shabby, either.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org