(keitai-l) Re: SPAM on mobile networks still an issue ?

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 11/03/03
In  Japan  users  can  change  their  email  address  at  any  time
(the  bit  before  the  @)  and  can  use 100chars  or  so.

I do  not  leave  my  address  around  on  the  net, and  get  zero
keitai  spam  on  a 7 letter/digit  address. If  it  became  a problem
I could  change  my  address  in  a few  moments  (I THINK  the  limit
is  you  can't change  address  more  than  once  every  10  minutes
on  imode  - this  gleaned  from  dealing  with  some  chap  who  was
pretending  to  be  93  different  people  complaining  about  one
poor  girl  who  worked  in  a bar.. He  only  sent a max  of  about  8
a day  - so  possibly  there  is   limit  there, too....  Or  possibly
the  10  minutes  was  the  time  it  took  him  to  change  address
and  write  a message.   )

The  additional  level  of  abstraction  between  address  and  handset
and  ease  with  which  uses  can  change  their  address  makes  spam
bearable.

Nick