(keitai-l) Re: Simpler iMode Email Question

From: Bill Volk <bvolk_at_teknikcorp.com>
Date: 11/21/03
No offense taken ... I know the big picture, but not the packet/protocol
details.  I guess after 13 years in management ... that's expected.  And
sure, DoCoMo could have valid email address for every user ... accept
SMTP traffic ... but have a completely private system without a POP.
That would be disappointing ... but not atypical.

Funny coincidence ... I did some work in Boston last summer on some DoD
related stuff ... and had lunch with Ray Tomlinson (he was a major
player in the invention of email
http://www.darwinmag.com/read/010102/buzz_mover.html)

I'm not the inventor of this anti-spam system ... in fact I'm a user of
Couldmark's Spamnet in the USA ... but that system is inappropriate for
the phone.

How are spammers harvesting iMode email addresses?  Specifically, if a
iMode user's real address is never used ... is there any chance that
they would get SPAM?

Having to create an email address for every user in the system isn't
horrible ... but it's not as transparent as working with the real email
address.

The packet reseller concept is a good idea as well.

Bill