(keitai-l) Re: Kanji OCR & english translation on 505i series DoCoMo phones using integrated camera

From: Petr Vyskocil <petr_at_anime.cz>
Date: 12/18/03
> Short instructions: start the program, press [SELECT] to take a picture of
> japanese text rotated by 90 degrees (i.e. hold the phone by right hand and
> take a picture of a text going from the top of the display to the bottom).
> Look at the result of postprocessing - if it is black text on white
> background that is readable, send it to server using [SELECT], and english
> translation provided by excite web service will be (if you're lucky)
> returned to you. If the result of preprocessing is rubbish, press
> [SOFT_BTN_1] and try again.

Just a note (based on the samples I got so far...): avoid having half of the
character on one side, as garbage on sides tends to be segmented into (as
part of) the neighboring kanji, producing the strangest results. The longest
recognizable sentences in the present version are (under good light
conditions) around 10 characters (MS PGothic style, funkiness decreases the
recognition rate...)

Petr Vyskocil