(keitai-l) Re: Why Motorola dropped Symbian?

From: Ben Hutchings <ben_at_decadentplace.org.uk>
Date: 01/14/04
Giovanni Bertani wrote:
> After reading some articles concentrating on some
> Symbian weak but marginal points (like the lack of
> a high level scripting language). I think most  of the
> journalists and bloggers have missed the key point.
<snip>
> So Symbian is in reality becoming more and more
> a Nokia OS with a big problem of conflict of interests
> between its hardware and software business.
<snip>

Nokia has been too influential on development for a while.  During my
short time at Symbian (contract from September to December 2002) I was
originally put to work on a new API.  The project was cancelled
shortly after I got involved because Nokia was pushing Symbian to
adopt a rather poor API they had developed for the same functionality
(or at least that's the story I got).

--
Ben Hutchings
Any smoothly functioning technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo.