(keitai-l) Why Motorola dropped Symbian?

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 01/14/04
After reading some articles concentrating on some
Symbian weak but marginal points (like the lack of
a high level scripting language). I think most  of the
journalists and bloggers have missed the key point.

Symbian with their failure of delivering a one-hand
operated UI (UIQ on the P800 and P900 is
geek stuff) they have given the opportunity to Nokia
to gain control of the Symbian platform.

Series 60 has such a large market advantage that makes
no sense of developing an independent smartphone
interface based on Symbian:

http://www.thefeature.com/article?articleid=100302

This it has been a huge error. Motorola have decided that
there was no future in adopting Series 60 from its main
competitor while being UIQ based devices relegated
to a niche market.

So Symbian is in reality becoming more and more
a Nokia OS with a big problem of conflict of interests
between its hardware and software business.

Conflicts that could fuel the development
of real independent OS (Linux Ntt DoCoMo)
or give opportunity to OS-Only developers (MS).

This short sighted strategy have been able to give
Motorola in the hands of MS at a point when MS
Smartphones projects looked like doomed.

In the case of Nokia being in trouble with a falling market
share (Real danger with the 3G handsets), I would
like to see how Symbian could come out.

What do you think?

Cheers

giovanni bertani   mobile vas consultant
exsense  italy