(keitai-l) Re: Python running on Series 60 handsets

From: dc <dc_at_pikkle.com>
Date: 02/15/04
> Trouble is, it's all based on ranking: but once players have downloaded
the
> Java app from the introductory wap site, they may play like crazy it's not
> going to count as one more hit...so now we have to work counter productive
> and work on content to put on the site to motivate them to get there.

It's only KDDI that do their ranking based on browser hits. Docomo do it on
number of members a site has, and bodaPhone do it on revenue being paid to
the content partner.

I personally think the voda approach is the one that leaves least room for
"gaming" the system. On docomo, there is a ton of intense price competition.
If the number of members is all that counts, it doesnft matter what they
are paying. This lead until recently to a lot of sites giving away "free"
subscriptions (this was recently changed not to be counted, so all the
ringtone sites got re-ranked).  But still in the games category are many
sites that are 100yen for "all you can eat".

Also note that docomo has two ranked menus - the top category list also
shows the top 3 or 4 sites in each category. This is ranked based on only
the last months figures, so there is more possibility for menu turnover, but
leads to the two ranked menus sometimes being different.

KDDI policy of using WAP hits to determine popularity of a JAVA site seems
very silly. But possibly based on the fact their whole billing system is
outsourced, and they havenft integrated the billing and wap site ranking.

I guess we should be thankful. In the US one operators has a hand-made WAP
page that someone goes in from time to time with a text-editor to "move
stuff around". True story!

/dc

> Also, there's no 'online' category.
>
> Finally, we're getting absolutely no promotion from our partner.
>
> So all in all, it's tough for a France based start-up, but it's exciting
> be at the forefront and hanging in there.
>
> Mathieu
>

> This mail was sent to address dc@gamelet.com
>

> ---

---