(keitai-l) Re: Is N-Gage finally a flop? And the 7600 e 770 0?

From: Chris Wooldridge <Chris.Wooldridge_at_bullant.com.au>
Date: 02/19/04
Think small?  The 7600 is small.
I'm guessing that the 7600 is about half the volume of the Sony 505i.
Remember this is a WCDMA/GSM 900/1800 Dual Mode handset.  Now I haven't been
in Tokyo since last July, but as I recall, all of the 3G handsets were
substantially larger than this.

Although the 7600 takes a bit of getting used to, as soon as you use it you
realise that a great deal of thought went into the design.  For example, if
I hold the handset in my left hand my thumb falls on the left hand side over
the volume controls, the camera lens falls in the gap between my thumb and
index finger and my index finger itself hovers nicely over the shutter
button.

The reaction of everyone I have shown my handset to has been 'sweet' when
they realise this.  (I am right handed so I tend to hold the phone in my
left hand to use the keypad - I find I need two hands to work the 7600.)

The 7600 id by no means perfect.  As a bloke, I find the 5, *, 6 & 7 keys
two small for comfort.  The 1 key is more to my liking.  Similarly, I am not
entirely sure about the new UI.  It is still a Nokia, however, and that
means remarkably few key presses to get at the most common handset
functions.

As for the 7700, then I got my hands on one last year at the launch in
Australia.  I am not sure where this may fit - as Bill pointed out,
certainly not comfortably in the palm of your hand.  And I have big hands
:-)

Right now, I cannot see ever myself using this style of handset, and I am a
big fan of the Psion Series 5 from which it draws a lot of inspiration.

Chris