(keitai-l) Re: Bill Gates doesn't believe in MS Smartphone future?

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 03/21/04
It has just occurred to me that a lot of what we think of as tech talk
isn't really that at all. What I mean is that the tech is (probably!)
going to happen eventually - ultra slim colour screens, vast onboard
storage, tv receivers and video-recorders, MP3 and video out, longer
battery life, etc etc, all on something the size of a keitai (which
seem to be getting larger, I note, in Japan at least.) It is just a
matter of time - not if, but when. It won't be a matter of "shall we
put a colour screen on this" but "why wouldn't we...?"

  Sure, in the short term it will be driven by "user need" and "the
market" but in the long run that will be no more a factor than it is a
factor that my eggtimer contains a calculator... (I don't NEED it, I
assume it was just so easy to add..)

The real issue in the end is which companies will control it all and
what DRM will be on it. Phone operators? Gadget makers? Content owners?
PDA companies - or OS monopolists...

Nick