(keitai-l) Re: Bill Gates doesn't believe in MS Smartphone future?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 03/22/04
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Darren Luckett wrote:

> First, he said, on a video player, "there's just no equivalent of
> headphones." That is, when you put on headphones and press Play on a music
> player, the results are spectacular-you get a very close equivalent to the
> concert-hall experience. But watching video on a tiny three-inch hand-held
> screen is almost nothing like the experience of watching a movie in a
> theater or even on TV.

The same goes for browsing the web. Yet lots of people still browse the
web on their keitai.

And I think what people are willing to put up with varies quite a lot.
For example, I think it's really sad that someone would lay out several
thousand dollars on a fifty-inch plasma screen; it's nowhere near the
real film experience. Yet, for reasons of convenience, they'll spend
more on that than it would cost them to install a video projector and
sceen. (And 20" televisions, well, don't make me laugh!)

I guess the main point I'm trying to make is that, yes, right now,
it's probably not a good value proposition for the majority of the
population. But just wait until they get smaller, cheaper, and more
feature-full, and then we'll see.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org