(keitai-l) Re: Bill Gates doesn't believe in MS Smartphone future?

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 03/22/04

>> But just wait until they get smaller, cheaper, and more
>> feature-full, and then we'll see.
>
> A camera with a grotty lens is about the last thing I would want in a
> phone - but now you have to really search to get a camera-less handset.
> As for a monochrome screen, or a phone without a screen, - do they
> still make them?
>
> In a couple of years I doubt we will any longer have a CHOICE about TV
> tuners, video players and a few gig of storage in our keitai.
>
> Unless we just opt out. I have an N501 somewhere - will docomo
> reconnect old phones?

Just to confirm your speculation. Cameraphones users  generate just 5%
more traffic than users with phones without a camera. I.E. the photo
and video
capture is used just at the beginning and then in very rarely. (Take a
look to
the last book from J. L. Funk)

Even if cameras are marginal in the real world use they are a key
feature
for handsets and they a getting more and more advanced.

So maybe we could expect something similar with those players. Still I
think
there must be a acceptable trade-off between size/weight and features an
area in which, for example, Apple Newton failed.

I would never buy a player much bigger than my old 5gig iPod. But maybe
I could
change it with one with similar form factor (Basically should fit my
pocket)
with some more features even if not so essential...

Cheers

Giovanni