(keitai-l) Re: optimized service for mobile phones

From: Ken Chang <carigate_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 03/29/04
(1) benefit
technically I don't think HTML should be used as a development base
in the first place.  actually, HTML itself had seen rapid growth
when people constantly added new features to it.  in the same spirit
we shouldn't hesitate to abandon it for new development.  we knew
SGML and XML many years ago didn't we?

today, it's au/KDDI's WAP that support XHTML, while DoCoMo's i-mode
services, PDC and FOMA, are significantly hampered by its technical
incapability.

(2) cost
as I said before, it's piece of cake to write HDML pages.  that's
not an issue.  the problem was CGI, which is way more complex and
people often modify free HTML CGI's to generate C-HTML pages.

but there were only several CGI's that people use, mainly the BBS
services (keijiban's).  it should not be a problem if WML (EZ) or
MML (J-Sky) CGI sources be provided free to developers.

I acknowledge that there is extra cost but that's minor thing.
the related development cost is only a small fraction anyway.

(*)
don't forget that it was i-mode mail that generated most traffic
in 2000 (it hasn't been perform as well since 2001).  so C-HTML is
really irrelevant.