(keitai-l) Re: FOMA(/UMTS)/GSM dual-mode handset N900iG

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 07/16/04
On 2004 Jul 16, , at 07:35, Noriyasu wrote:

> I found out some time ago, DoCoMo is planning to release some 900iG
> Foma/GSM
> dual-mode handsets until end of 2004.
>
> http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/corporate/investor_relations/
> referenc/presentations/pdf/20040507/p13.pdf

Yet another great example of lying with statistics in this PDF: World
Wing is a free service so users usually have this by default but how
many of these users actually roam with World Wing?

> My Italian is not so good, but it is saying NEC N900iG will be coming
> end of
> 2004. It is announced with Samsungs Z105 and SE Z1010. So I think it
> will be
> UMTS ready, too. (some kind of triple-mode since Foma is not
> compatible to UMTS,
> right?)

All FOMA mobiles are UMTS (W-CDMA) which is why you can use a 3G mobile
like the Nokia 7600 in Japan with a FOMA USIM card.

With the exception of Sony Ericsson, I think Japanese mobile
manufacturers are losing their edge when you compare their 3G offerings
with quad-band mobiles like Motorola's A1000 et al.

Kyle

--

mobile web gear | pukupi.com