(keitai-l) Re: FOMA(/UMTS)/GSM dual-mode handset N900iG

From: Claus Hoefele <claus.hoefele_at_gmail.com>
Date: 07/16/04
> All FOMA mobiles are UMTS (W-CDMA) which is why you can use a 3G mobile
> like the Nokia 7600 in Japan with a FOMA USIM card.

Sorry but I don't think this is correct, not all FOMA mobiles are
UMTS. Both UMTS and FOMA are based on W-CDMA but are not compatible
with each other. You might be able to use a FOMA USIM card in a UMTS
phone (haven't tried) but UMTS phones can't connect to the FOMA
network. Vodafone Japan on the other hand operates a UMTS compatible
network.

I think the fact that FOMA is not compatible with UMTS is a major
drawback for Japanese (DoCoMo) phone manufacturers because they can't
sell their phones worldwide easily. Otherwise Motorola & Co would have
many problems matching the features of Japanese handsets.

Claus