(keitai-l) Re: FOMA(/UMTS)/GSM dual-mode handset N900iG

From: Ken Chang <carigate_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 07/16/04
Japanese and Europeans used to call UMTS "W-CDMA", believing that
it would become the monoply standard.  today, UMTS is a member of
a family of 2.5-3.5G systems and we gave up harmonization efforts.

UMTS is a new design of FD CDMA technology which is unfortunately
inferior to its elder brother cdma2000.  today, the best UMTS chips
are made by Q**lc*mm.

I talked with a Chinese friend in 1999 from whom I learned for
the first time the Chinese thinking of 3G.  I told him that he was
wrong on everything and the best and easiest way to go was UMTS.
it was me who made everything wrong.  caught a fever of F911.

it would be better if UMTS had waited and adopted TD-SCDMA, which
may result a less flawed system covering Eurasia from Ireland to
Tokyo Disney Land.  the "time to market" shot UMTS in the foot.

DoCoMo built the FOMA network using the inmature R99 standard, and
they further breached from it for two reasons: lack of experience
and to decrease power consumption.