(keitai-l) Maps for Mobile Phones

From: Andrew Shuttleworth <andrew.shuttleworth_at_gmail.com>
Date: 07/19/04
I looked through the archives and found an old thread on maps but I
think it's worth posting this again. Does anyone have any experience
selecting a third party mapping service to provide maps for their
mobile phone site. At www.tabemo.com we need up to 300 maps and their
will be a growing need in the future.

Both www.mapfan.com and www.mapion.co.jp as well as I assume other
other Japanese mapping sites provide services to link to their maps or
use them on your web site but I have yet to investigate the pricing
options.

An alternative is http://www.gmap.jp/gmap/ which looks very
interesting. I know the people managing that business but want to
investigate all the options first.

Of course the third option is that we just get maps custom made which
at first has the apparent advantage of just having a one off cost but
we risk losing out on the expertise and best practices for creating
mobile maps by going this route.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Andrew

P.S. By the way, we filled the technical position at Tabemo thanks to
the post on this list. Thanks as always for the people who keep lists
like this running.