(keitai-l) Re: Question concerning barcodes on a Keitai

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 07/27/04
 > It seems to us in Europe that interoperability is a key issue for that
 > service to take off

Sure. But in Japan the market conditions are different than in Europe,
since DoCoMo has 60% of the market. DoCoMo can set the standard by
getting 40 million users. You can watch this happen right now with
the wallet-phones - once most retailers in Japan have DoCoMo's system,
Vodafone and KDDI/AU cannot ask retailers to have a second and third
system with a different standard:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/walletphone/

Concerning the QR codes, my DoCoMo phone reads the data for KDDI or
Vodaonfe QR codes. However, in some cases, for example for bill
paying, the QR code only contains a number nothing else. This number
is fed into DoCoMo's data center. This QR code pattern (somebody else's
question) is generated in the data center, not in the handset.

Gerhard