(keitai-l) Re: Using Just One Markup Language

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 10/13/04
Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Kyle Barrow wrote:
>>Flash or SVG Tiny should solve many resolution issues for vector
>>format image data like logos and maps....
>
> Actually, I disagree. Especially for maps, you want to draw them
> up differently depending on the resolution, because the amount of
> information you can fit in is quite different when the resolution starts
> to change drastically, such as between a standard and a QVGA keitai
> screen

That should be quite possible to implement in Flash. I've worked quite a
bit with map zooming for various displays (screens/printers etc), and as
long as the base data is properly layered you can add/remove stuff
automatically to get reasonable amounts of information. I didn't use
Flash in that project, but it certainly seems to be powerful enough to
handle this. For optimization you'd want to keep the layers in separate
files and only fetch those that you need - you'd probably also want to
split the map into reasonably sized squares for the same reason.

				/ Jonas
--
Jonas Petersson  |  XMS Penvision  |  mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Västgötegatan 13, S-600 03 Norrköping | http://www.xms.se/