(keitai-l) Re: QR Codes iAppli for non QR Code phones?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 03/07/05
On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Jason Fields wrote:

> If there is NOT a freely available software package for mobiles...
> Might this be a good opportunity to make something, if its in fact
> possible? It seems from the QR Code sourceforge,jp there is...

I just had a quick glance at the code for that project, but it looks to
me to be quite incomplete. I don't think that as it stands it is able
to read anything at all. But I could be wrong--I only glanced at a few
files.

> I mean, if someone could provide an J2ME app or vAppli then this
> would provide and even greater amount of QR Code users and available
> services to people initially w/o QR Code enabled phones.

I'm not sure that it's possible to read a QR code with the low
resolution (0.3 megapixel) cameras that come with, say, the 504 series
phones. Every QR code capable phone I've seen has had at least a 1
megapixel camera. So it seems likely that your market would be limited
to phones with megapixel-plus cameras, but with QR code reading
capability, which is a pretty small market from the looks of it.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***        http://www.keitai-dev.net/wiki/         ***