(keitai-l) Re: handset customization question

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 03/10/05
Eddie,

contrary to some marketing speak, i-mode page formatting uses a totally
open standard, a reduced set of html.
So anybody can make handsets, which are largely compatible to i-mode.

However, part of the i-mode concept is the "official menu", which is
controlled by the carrier, and the "i-mode" trademark is owned by
NTT-DoCoMo. So if you make handsets you won't be able to use the
"i-mode" trademark, and you normally won't be able to display and
connect to the official menu, unless you have an arrangement with
the carrier in question, which in Japan is DoCoMo.

Yes, the specs for i-mode handsets in other markets, Europe, Russia etc
are different than in Japan.

Gerhard

Eddie Tapiero wrote:
>  I am new to the list and wanted to inquiry about handset customization.  1)
> Are the specs for European i-mode handsets less stringent than those in
> Japan?  and 2) Someone just told me that Samsung and LG are just developing
> i-mode handsets by adding the navigation button and a link to a web site?..
> Ithought you required more than that in terms of display size, i-mode
> navigation key, and NETFront..   was the preson refering to the
> browser?..aretheir phones significantly cheaper than those provided by
> traditional i-mode vendors?  Any input would be appreciated..   Thank you,
>   Eddie
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
http://fasol.com/blog/                 http://www.eurotechnology.com/