(keitai-l) Re: Best ways to demo mobile content?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 04/15/05
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, William Volk wrote:

> I wish I could get the "wire phone to video" info from Nokia.  I don't know
> why they don't share it.

I'm strongly suspecting that there's more than just a wire between the
phone and the projector.

LCD displays don't use a standard video signal, or really any kind of
"video" signal at all: it's completely different technology. What your
standard desktop display does when you use the VGA connector is rather
ridiculous: your computer takes the array of colour values representing
the pixels on the screen, encodes them as a waveform, which the monitor
then goes and decodes to turn that back into an array of colour values
representing the pixels, which it then goes and displays in its own way.

If you have a dedicated LCD display attached to a computing device, as
in the case of a laptop or a phone, you don't need all this modulating
and demodulating circuitry. So of course you leave it out to save power
and money.

So there's no video signal in a standard phone. I don't even know if
there would be an easy way to get information out of a standard phone
to make a video signal, since I would guess that there's no "scanning"
at all involved--if a pixel's not updated, it's just never accessed.
I would not be at all surprised if those phones Nokia are using are
specially modified.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***        http://www.keitai-dev.net/wiki/         ***