(keitai-l) Re: smartphones in Japan (was: Fukuoka Kyushu 3G Vodafone coverage)

From: Paul Lester <paul_at_thetamusic.com>
Date: 05/17/05
    Its my understanding that DRM's at least with ringtones that DRM's
are added by the way in which they are downloaded and not part of the
original file.
    So you would write a program or use an html or wap tag in such a
way that a DRM would be added by the phone when the ringtone/song media
is downloaded and not add a DRM ahead of time.
    I'm not sure if there is a standard way to add DRMs to Mp3s......maybe
3gps............

    And I'd like to know the answer too as I haven't had a chance to do
much with DRM's..... they keep not being necessary for each project I
work with.

    In my experience, title encodings, language encodings and such seem to
be the real problem.... maybe by adding a DRM you inadvertently changed the
region or language encoding and caused the file to then be downloadable.

    And the consumer should never have to add a DRM.... its really absurd
if they need to.  A martial art's friend of mine bought a few devices that required the consumer
to do something like that, and when they couldn't get the music devices to work,
they disposed of them into the refuse bin (not having time to return the items or such as time
is money).  Now getting that jump double front kick right.... that's more important than
any DRM.

    I just looked at all the menu items in quicktime and options when making 3gp files
and saw nowhere where it said DRM.  Where in quicktime can you add a drm?  (and yes
I have a licensed version).

nick may wrote:

> How exactly does one add DRM to an Mp3?
>
> (and - soto voce,  why should the consumer have to go through such an
> absurd step...?)
>
> Nick
>
> On May 17, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Arnold P. Siboro wrote:
>
>   as long as you add DRM to it (using Quicktime etc).
>
> This mail was sent to address paul@thetamusic.com

Paul B. Lester
thetamusic.com(有)
Chief Engineer