(keitai-l) Re: smartphones in Japan (was: Fukuoka Kyushu 3G Vodafone coverage)

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 05/17/05
Interesting - I tried mp3's with a .3g2 suffix  when I got the phone
and it didn't - and doesn't work. (AFAIK mp3's still require oggplayer
- I suspect Arnold's way does not work on the 702NK) However if the
file is transcoded to AAC and is then given a .3g2 suffix, it will play
on the built in player. (Without it the phone complains about lack of
DRM. Adding a .3g2 suffix is NOT "adding DRM"...) Of course if one is
technically savvy one can install oggplayer - which most of us have
done - which just plays anything.

...but the broader question remains - why should the consumer have to
jump through these hoops? Why does the carrier have the phone present a
mendacious error message? Why not just play an MP3 or an AAC file
"straight"?

This whole thread isn't about "getting things working" for geeks -
(although I appreciate the tip) - if it ain't "plug and play" then for
many consumers it just doesn't exist.

Nick