(keitai-l) Re: keitai monitoring

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 06/08/05
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Nik Frengle wrote:

> Oi vey! I have been working on mobile billing systems for the past some
> months, and can say with certainty that this is non-trivial, though
> obviously not what Aaron is after.

I didn't say it was trivial. I have never seen trivial anything in a
telco billing system. But it's definitely not at all what he's looking
for.

> Aaron, from my understanding of Vodafone and DoCoMo's Java profiles
> (DoJa, and VFX, and JSCL, together with MIDP for Vodafone), there is no
> way for you to access the information that you would like to.  It
> *might* be possible to use the suspension of machiuke (for example, when
> a phone call comes in), to calculate some of what you want, but there
> would be a heavy amount of guesswork involved, I think.

Indeed. You might also investigate the potential of having a machiuke
applet running that would allow the user to select actions of interest
(read mail, send mail, browse web, etc.) and then go directly to that
menu. I believe that Java applets on Docomo phones have at least some
capability to do this sort of thing.

For tracking mail, you could just write a new mail app in Java to
replace the standard one in the phone. It's certainly possible to do
that, at least on iAppli DX enabled systems.

Another idea might be to have a device that plugs into the bottom of the
phone, though which you'd select the action of choice.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***