(keitai-l) Re: keitai monitoring

From: Aaron Stephanic <astephan_at_cs.kent.edu>
Date: 06/08/05
Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Nik Frengle wrote:
>
>>Aaron, from my understanding of Vodafone and DoCoMo's Java profiles
>>(DoJa, and VFX, and JSCL, together with MIDP for Vodafone), there is no
>>way for you to access the information that you would like to.  It
>>*might* be possible to use the suspension of machiuke (for example, when
>>a phone call comes in), to calculate some of what you want, but there
>>would be a heavy amount of guesswork involved, I think.
>

> Indeed. You might also investigate the potential of having a machiuke
> applet running that would allow the user to select actions of interest
> (read mail, send mail, browse web, etc.) and then go directly to that
> menu. I believe that Java applets on Docomo phones have at least some
> capability to do this sort of thing.

These are good ideas.  I browsed through the DoJa 2.5 API and it looks
like there's a way to launch the browser with a given (http/https) URL.
  There's also a way to launch another applet.  I didn't see anything
for mail however.  The built-in mail application isn't an applet is it?

> For tracking mail, you could just write a new mail app in Java to
> replace the standard one in the phone. It's certainly possible to do
> that, at least on iAppli DX enabled systems.

Yes, I thought of doing something like this but it is probably overkill.
  The idea is that the application will be able to track as much as
possible on the phone, not just mail.  A mail application or even a
browser could be written and users could be forced or told to use that
instead of the built-in one, but that sounds like a heavy-handed
solution.  You'd have to support such an application and hopefully it
would be as good as the pre-existing ones.  The tracking application
should be as transparent as possible.

> Another idea might be to have a device that plugs into the bottom of the
> phone, though which you'd select the action of choice.

Requiring external hardware is probably also too much.  But what kind of
API would it have access to?

Thanks,

Aaron