(keitai-l) Re: T-mobile to abandon mobile portal?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 07/04/05
On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, S.Woodside wrote:

> Explain? As I see it the issues are:
> 1 - rendering regular sites well for mobile
>
> 1 I think will be easily solved over the coming years through web
> standards. CSS and semantic web initiatives and so on can offer very
> great hope for creating a single page for both PC and mobile browsers.

I can't really see that happening unless you don't mind overly simple
looking pages when viewed on a PC. The biggest issue is that there's a
massive difference in the amount of information that can be displayed
on the screen: a few hundred characters on a handset compared to many
thousands of characters on a PC display. The things you to do make site
navigation more effective on a PC often make it less effective on a
keitai, and vice versa.

For me, the things that work when browsing PC sites on my phone are the
services, such as Google, that go and strip out most of the stuff on the
page to try to get it, as close as possible, to just the bare content.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***