(keitai-l) Re: T-mobile to abandon mobile portal?

From: Darren <darren_at_ukmedia.us>
Date: 07/05/05
It is questionable that an argument from 3-4 years ago "mobile Internet
is different  to www" is being used.

Most of us have gone way beyond the concept of rendering www sites on
mobiles- circa 1998-99

Perhaps the attraction of your companies product is that you load the
page with graphics and thereby increase the data revenue generated by
the operator. Of course, the operator is happy, but what about the end
user when they receive their keital bill and say to themselves "bloody
hell, Im not using mobile Internet again as it costs a fortune".

Take a leaf for the japanese sites. Simplicity and low image download.
Encourages the user.

John Whelan wrote:

>Glad to see this topic has led to an interesting debate.
>
>I think Curt's comments reflect my point exactly that mobile browsing IS
>different. Trying to render fixed web sites on a mobile will never work as
>fixed web will by its nature always be ahead and support features not yet
>available on most handsets. Also  as you  state the screen is *smaller*.
>Pretty major differences IMHO. Trying to squeeze / shoehorn  fixed web
>content onto mobiles is just not the answer

[ excessive quoting removed by moderator ]