(keitai-l) Re: NEC launches European i-mode 3G phone

From: marcus saw <saw_marcus_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 07/04/05
Hi,

I am a newbie to this mailing list so please forgive me if I say something that's already been mentioned.

I would just like to add to this discussion by saying that the reason why the Japanese phones lack those "PC-like" features is most probably because the users in Japan are after something different from the majority of users in Europe.  I guess its obvious but typically the Japanese user is after something more fun, so the features are geared up for this - as are the 'add-ons' you can buy -cute keitai 'straps' for example.  Whereas the more 'sophisticated' westerner probably wouldn't be seen dead with a cute Duraemon - or his equivalent hanging from their phone, they are after more sleek technology with more business like features - just look at the Razr.

Because of this I don't think that the Japanese market should be too closely compared to the European market and in any case I am sure that the handsets in circulation in Japan could have the features found on in Europe, if the Japanese market really wanted them.

Marcus

http://cellsuite.blogspot.com

"Arnold P. Siboro" <asiboro@maltech.jp> wrote:

As in my previous mails, I do think that non-Japanese phones lack the
little bits that makes Japanese phones great (.. for Japanese). But as
user of non-Japanese phone too, I find that phones sold in Europe are
generations ahead of Japanese phone in certain areas, e.g., computer
integration/connection (bluetooth/irda etc) and PC-like features (pc web
browser, pop/imap client etc).

Indeed, it seems that Japanese are happy enough without advanced
features in those areas. When customers happy and operators make money,
there is no reason to become advanced in those areas though..