(keitai-l) Re: QR versus Semacode?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 07/12/05
On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Mohit Sindhwani wrote:

> Would I be right in saying that Semacode is mostly used only for URLs
> while QR can be used across the board for much more information?

Well, it would be more correct to say:

     1. Semacode can only be used for URLs (at least at this time).

     2. QR Code can be used for many other kinds of information, too.

     3. QR Code is mostly used only for URLs.

Part of the reason for point 3 is that if you just encode a plain-text
URL in a QR code, all vendors' phones will read it as a URL. If you try
to get more special than that, the different vendors have different
standards.

However, my co-worker does encode his name/address/phone information in
a Docomo-formatted QR-code on his business card.

Come to think of it, where that kind of thing could be more useful would
be on web pages, where you could display the QR-code containing this
information, but have a radio-type button beside it that would replace
the Docomo version with a Vodafone or AU format version (probably
using DHTML). It wouldn't be such a bad addition to an on-line phone
directory.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***