(keitai-l) Re: QR versus Semacode?

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 07/12/05
Curt Sampson wrote:
>      1. Semacode can only be used for URLs (at least at this time).
>
>      2. QR Code can be used for many other kinds of information, too.

YES! QR code has NOT been developed for mobile phones!
QR-code was developed by the TOYOTA group company Denso
for car parts supply chain management, logistics etc.

A subset - a more narrow specification - was adapted
for mobile phones later.

>      3. QR Code is mostly used only for URLs.

In the case of mobile phones yes and no. I have a QR code
on my business card with name, address, phone number etc.

What people in this thread are mixing up is the QR code
itself and the mark-up for information. The QR code
itself has been developed by Denso, and has nothing to do
with mobile phones at all. Its an industry standard and
has been standardized as a global standard.

DoCoMo, KDDI and Vodafone have selected some part of
the global QR standard as a phone interface. That
part is not standardized in any way, except that
it's a subset of the full standard.

On top of the QR standard, there is a way to mark-up
information, e.g. address book, music etc.

This mark-up is one-sidedely fixed by the operators
and is not standardized in any way, and varies from
handset to handset. You'll find different versions:
1.0, 2.0 etc, where the address book mark-up
change.

You can find this all explained on the various websites,
mainly the Denso site and the DoCoMo site, and we
put this together in our report:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/store/qr-code/

Gerhard

Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
http://fasol.com/blog/                 http://www.eurotechnology.com/