(keitai-l) Re: QR versus Semacode?

From: Mohit Sindhwani <mohits_at_onghu.com>
Date: 07/12/05
Hello again,

Thanks again for the lively debate and the information.  I think I do
see the applicability of both Semacode and QR Code.

If I were to summarise, this is what I seem to find:
1. QR Code is standardised by ISO, JIS and AIM (?).
2. QR code was originally developed by Denso for Toyota for logistics -
but has found good applicability in the mobile phone space in Japan.
3. Semacode seems to be restricted to URL markup.
4. QR Code has the "ability" to encode many different types of
information, though it's often used only for URL markup.  However, it's
correct that you can encode business cards, ringtones, pictures, etc.
5. Since QR is a standard, there seem to be many encoders for content.
6. There don't seem to be open source readers other than
http://sourceforge.jp/projects/qrcode/ but I couldn't get it working :P
7. One of the leading providers of the client side software seems to be
http://www.camreader.jp/eng/product/ - they claim to have provided
technology to all three Japanese mobile phone service providers.
8. Denso owns the patent to the technology but has publicly stated that
the QR code may be used free of charge as they will not enforce the patent.

I received a couple of QR codes from my friend in Japan (from my address
book entry in her phone, a couple of emails, etc) and the size of the
PNG file she sent me was roughly 120 pixels by 120 pixels - is that a
common size?  What kind of camera resolution is usually good for reading
that back?  Is it also correct that the printing is typically expected
on a 400dpi printer?
Cheers
Mohit.