(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone Block Nokia ?

From: Paul Lester <paul_at_thetamusic.com>
Date: 07/26/05
No idea to question 1.

As for question 2... is it Japan specific?

I know DoCoMo used to have Nokia phones (NM502i) but that is not happening anymore as it was a poor handset.
JPhone before being absorbed by Vodaphone had the (J-NM01and JNM-02).
I don't have data on every carrier.  Nokia may provide keitais to some of the others as well.
I don't think TuKa(KDDI) or KDDI (formerly AU and IDO) had Nokia phones but I don't have time to look through
all my data.

The simple reason you don't see many Nokias here is that
    1.  The quality is worse on Nokias used in Japan compared to any other handset I
have used.
    2. Many older (and new) handsets here are free to buy so there is no way to break into the market
through low prices, like they did in the US. (and the voice on the Nokias I have tried is worse as well!)

    There are Nokia's on many carriers in the US (Cingular and Verizon to name 2) and Europe (no time to check out which ones) though.
------------------------------
    I had endless problems with Nokia phone's web development in the US...Good luck!  Everyone tells me,
you don't need to fix it, as its a problem with the phone and that always gets me angry!
    How do you get around Nokia hardware problems with development??

Jason Byrne wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am new to the list and hope one day to contribute, but for now all I
> have are questions :)
>
> I was reading the archives and noted people were suggesting that
> Vodafone might be blocking third party downloads to Nokia devices.
>
> Q. 1: Is that true?
>
> I am educating myself on Java development for the Nokia series 40, but
> find that Nokia handsets are in short supply here in Japan.
>
> Q. 2: Are Vodafone the only provider that uses Nokia handsets?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jay
>
> This mail was sent to address paul@thetamusic.com

Paul B. Lester