(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone Block Nokia ?

From: <Richard.Morgan_at_sybase.com>
Date: 07/26/05
Hi,

it works the same way.

The Nokia phone requires apps to be Symbian signed. There is a menu item to
turn this feature off, but Vodafone in Japan seem to have disabled it
(it is still there but does not appear to be connected to anything).

So I could not get a SIS file to install directly. There was a freeware
third party app, HalWin that unpacked the SIS file and the files could then
be
copied directly over to the phone and would work.

So, they have not blocked it but neither have they made it especially easy
or conveniant for developers.

Richard

             Jason Byrne
             <jbyrne@oopsengli
             sh.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  KEITAI-L@appelsiini.net
             keitai-l-bounce@a                                          cc
             ppelsiini.net
                                                                   Subject
                                       (keitai-l) Vodafone Block Nokia ?
             2005/07/26 10:08

             Please respond to
             keitai-l@appelsii
                  ni.net

Hi

I am new to the list and hope one day to contribute, but for now all I
have are questions :)

I was reading the archives and noted people were suggesting that
Vodafone might be blocking third party downloads to Nokia devices.

Q. 1: Is that true?

I am educating myself on Java development for the Nokia series 40, but
find that Nokia handsets are in short supply here in Japan.

Q. 2: Are Vodafone the only provider that uses Nokia handsets?

Thanks for your help.

Jay

This mail was sent to address Richard.Morgan@sybase.com