(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone Block Nokia ?

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 07/26/05
This is a public response to an offlist email, as the info should be
out there and googlable.

Send SMS

To send SMS from the desktop on MacOS 10 Tiger (don't know about
before) open the Address Book. Top left of the window is a row of
icons. The rightermost  is a bluetooth icon. With your phone close
by, click it. It should turn blue, showing you are connected.

In the address book, find a vodafone number. Option click it (or
right click it). A menu comes up giving you options - two of which
are dial using the keitai and send SMS using the keitai.  Choose the
latter and a pane comes down into which one can type up to 160 chars.
It just works.

I am not sure how elegantly it handles spaces in the number, or 186
prefixes. But it works fine to other vodafones, at least. It does not
leave a message on the handset as I recollect - I have not checked
whether it touches the log. It is very convenient as SMS to other JP
Voda's is free.

Caller ID

This is sometimes flaky - I THINK the reason is that it does not
automatically handle the 186/184 prefix that is sometimes sent. So it
depends how you have the number stored. I Think. I have not tested it
to confirm.

Nick