(keitai-l) Re: Using a computer with a portable phone

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 10/07/05
Shannon,

Willcom/PHS has many different subscription options, and you can
select different speeds up to 256kbps, which is about the same as
European UMTS (which in Europe is not yet rolled out nationally,
but only in the main urban centers as far as I am informed),
or FOMA in Japan. If you are worried about speed make sure you
subscribe to the highest service level with Willcom - and you
will also have to buy there newest data card, the older ones
do not work with the top speed.

KDDI/AU has WIN which has 2.4Mbps in most urban areas of Japan, but
slower in non-WIN areas. However WIN does not have flat data rates
for PCs, you have to pay for your packets/bits, which can be quite
expensive if you use the high speed to download a lot of data.

We have prepared a detailed price comparison with graphics
in our 3G report:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/store/3G/
This 3G report also explains all the different 3G systems
in Japan, pricing, carrier strategies and the economics etc.

Gerhard

Shannon Jacobs wrote:
> Not sure if this is within the scope of this maillist, which seems rather
> quiet, but... I'm interested what people can tell me about using a computer
> with a portable phone. Right now I have the PHS phone with unlimited
> packets, and it doesn't work too badly, but it's frightfully slow. Any
> better options available?
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                          Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
http://fasol.com/                       http://www.eurotechnology.com/